Guard your Medicare Number
Scammers have been working overtime, calling, texting, and emailing people ever since the COVID19 virus emerged. The con artists are tailoring their message to the latest headlines and often appear legitimate. Here are just a few of the latest scams to watch for:
Scammers are always after your Medicare number. Today’s scam artists are offering to send you masks, test kits, air cleaning devices, COVID19 cures or treatments with the cost being covered by your insurance or Medicare. Do not be fooled. The scammers want to get a hold of your Medicare number, banking information or other personal information when you take advantage of their offer.
If you have the slightest inclination to take advantage of an offer, please take five minutes to call Medicare to verify the authenticity of the offer. Medicare’s number is 1-800-MEDICARE.
Stimulus check scams
Be extremely cautious if you receive a phone call or email telling you about any new stimulus payments from the government. This scheme is designed to steal your money, your social security number or your banking information.
Scammers will sprinkle in terms such as ‘stimulus’ instead of the official term (economic impact payment) to gain your confidence. To my knowledge, no one is conducting any outreach to track down missing economic impact payments and as of this writing, no new economic impact payment package has been finalized. Call your bank if you have any doubts.
· Do not click on links from sources you do not know.
· Guard your Medicare number as you would guard your credit card.
· Check your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for errors.
· Only give your Medicare Number to participating Medicare pharmacists, primary and specialty care doctors, or people you trust to work with Medicare on your behalf.
· Remember, Medicare will never call you to verify your Medicare number.
· Visit Medicare.gov/fraud for more information on protecting yourself from fraud and reporting suspected fraud.
Got questions on life, health, Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare Supplements? Call or email me. I will help you find a plan that works for you. My email is Lmutsko@mutskoinsurance.com or call 440-255-5700.
Laura Mutsko is a licensed insurance agent and broker offering a complete line of health and life insurance products, including Individual, Group and Family Health, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Supplement Plans, Medicare Part D Prescription Coverage, Vision, Dental and Life Insurance. Contact Laura at 440-255-5700. Mutsko Insurance Services, LLC is located at 6982 Spinach Drive in Mentor, Ohio.