Rep. Kent Smith Shares Census Information
Spring is coming, Euclid Observer readers--and so is the US Census! While I am not sure any of us can help with the changing of the seasons, all of us can help get everyone counted.
Starting in mid-March, information on completing the census will be mailed out to every address in Ohio’s 8th House District (and the rest of the country). 95 percent of households will receive their Census info in the mail and the remaining 5 percent of households will have the form dropped off by a Census taker. The 2020 US Census is only ten questions long. To help non-English speaking residents, the Census Bureau has guides in 59 languages, American Sign Language and braille.
April 1, 2020 is the designated Census Day. That is the day the snapshot of America will take place. Everyone needs to “count” themselves where they are on that day. In 2020, you will be able to complete the Census on-line. You will also be able to do it by phone and mail. In May and June, door-to-door Census takers will attempt to reach those who have not yet returned a completed form.
The first Census of the nation was taking in 1790 and it is the largest peacetime federal activity every ten years. The US Census provides the basis for the number of Electoral College votes each state has, the apportionment of the 435 US Congress seats, the 33 Ohio State Senate districts and the 99 Ohio House of Representative boundaries. But beyond that, the Census determines where over $1.5 trillion of federal funds on 300+ federal programs get spent every year for the next ten years.
A couple of other important Census details:
- Census is 100% confidential.
- US Census Bureau will NEVER ask for your Social Security number or bank information or money / payment.
- libraries will be prepared to assist on-line Census takers.
So do your part and spread the word about how important and easy the Census is and remember to send your form in.
Speaking of things to remember – PLEASE remember that the 2020 Primary Election is on March 17th this year – That’s Right - St. Patrick’s Day. People are going to miss it unless we remind them.
If you want to check your voter registration, the County Board of Elections phone number is 216-443-VOTE (8683). You can always contact my office at 614-466-5441 or at Rep08@OhioHouse.Gov with questions about the Census, voting or other topics.
State Representative Kent Smith represents Ohio’s 8th House District which includes Euclid, South Euclid, Beachwood, Richmond Heights, East Cleveland, Woodmere Village and a little bit of the City of Cleveland.