Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs Resources
Euclid Police are not the only resource to help when residents feel they are victims of scams or unfair business practices. The Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs can help if you:
- Want to report or receive alerts about scams
- Have consumer questions or complaints
- Are charged the wrong price at the register
- Have a problem with a store or business you can’t resolve on your own
- Need resources to manage your budget or build credit
The Consumer Protection Division mediates consumer complaints against businesses, lets consumers and business owners know about consumer protection laws, issues alerts about unfair sales tactics and scams, and helps consumers find information they need to shore up their finances.
The Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs can provide a speaker to residents or businesses, free of charge. This includes: senior groups, retirement organizations, schools, parent-teacher organizations, civic or business groups and many others. The Department has the latest news on fraud prevention, scams to avoid and smart buying decisions. For additional information on our consumer outreach initiatives, please call (216) 443-7035
The Scam Squad, chaired by the Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs, taps into existing senior and law enforcement networks to:
- Rapidly identify current fraud threats to older residents
- Ensure scam reports reach the appropriate enforcement agencies
- Make sure victims get a “warm hand-off” if they must be referred
- Arm county residents with the information they need to spot and avoid scams
- Share research about scams and scam victims
- Conduct public education about scams
Scam Squad unites nonprofits and social service agencies with local, state and federal law enforcement in the fight against fraud. The task force’s goal is to make it easier for seniors to report scams and to allow agencies to quickly share information about scams with each other and with the public.
The website for Cuyahoga County Consumer Affairs to research unfair business practices, learn about recent scam alerts, and find information on how to prevent them can be found at consumeraffairs.cuyahogacounty.us.
I am the Community Policing Specialist at the Euclid Police Department.