The Kent Smith Capitol Update
Hello, Euclid Observer readers. State Representative Kent Smith here. This is the first of my monthly Capitol Update columns. It is my honor to serve you in Columbus as Ohio’s Representative from the 8th House District, and as a new contributor to the Euclid Observer.
As you may know, I am in my third term. I took over from Armond Budish and, before him, Kenny Yuko. The 8th District includes Euclid, South Euclid, Beachwood, Richmond Heights, East Cleveland, Woodmere Village, and a little bit of the City of Cleveland. In this, my first Observer article, I am happy to announce a series of October Ohio Promise Capitol Update Town Hall meetings to be held across the 8th House District.
My 8th District Ohio Promise Capitol Update Tour will be a series of legislative town hall meetings to discuss:
• The Ohio Promise legislative framework
• A review of the state budget
• Bipartisan priority legislation
• The FirstEnergy bailout legislation
• Gun safety proposals
• State-takeovers of public school districts
• An overview of legislation that I have sponsored and cosponsored
• Audience questions
After a busy nine months of this legislative session, I want to get out into the district, answer questions, and be available to my constituents – because I work for you. That’s my promise.
The Ohio Promise Capitol Update Town Hall Tour brings the Statehouse to your neighborhood and your community. You will have the opportunity to share your opinions and concerns as we head into the final 14 months of the 133rd General Assembly. At the town hall meetings, I will also unveil the 8th House District Legislative Survey – a questionnaire, available to anyone, that will be used to help shape our legislative priorities.
The best way to represent people is to listen to them. That is the purpose of the town hall meetings and the legislative survey. I hope many of you will participate. These meetings are free and open to the public, and for your convenience, there is one scheduled in the Shore Room at the Euclid Public Library. Please help spread the word. If you have any questions, feel free to email my office at Rep08@ OhioHouse.Gov or call us at 614.466.5441.
The Ohio Promise Capitol Update Town Hall Tour
• East Cleveland: Saturday, October 12 (Location and Time TBD)
• Euclid Public Library (Shore Room): Monday, October 14 • 7pm
• Beachwood Community Center: Tuesday, October 15 • 7pm
• South Euclid Community Center: Wednesday, October 16 • 7pm
• Richmond Heights Elementary (Multipurpose Room): Friday, October 18 • 6pm