Construction is Underway
On February 3rd, Ss. Robert and William Catholic Parish held a groundbreaking ceremony for its new St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish Center. This multi-phased project is the result of the parish’s recent capital campaign, appropriately called "Honor Our Past - Fund Our Future." Representatives from the city of Euclid, Hiti DiFrancesco + Siebold Architects, Regency Construction, Ss. Robert and William Parish and School as well as Bishop Pilla, Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Cleveland, participated in the ceremony and dug into the ground outside the current gymnasium on E. 260th Street.
The initial phase of construction will include interior renovation of the current gym and conversion of the stage into a multi-purpose room. The gym will get a new floor, painted and repaired walls, new ceiling, and new lighting. The current kitchenette will be made into a full-sized kitchen to support the parish’s many events, including its Lenten Fish Fry Season and annual festival. The former vestibule area will be turned into a storage area and a new entrance will be created.
An additional feature of the renovation includes a statue of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton which will be placed in a shrine area outside of the gym and will be visible from E. 260th Street. The outside plans include seating.
In a letter to parishioners, the pastor, Fr. John Betters, stated, "It is without question that this is a major venture!"
Located on the eastern end of Euclid, St. William and St. Robert Parishes were founded in 1946 and 1950 respectively. For over sixty years these two parishes served as anchors of the Catholic community. Thousands of faithful people and hundreds of dedicated priests and religious sisters worked tirelessly to journey together bringing people closer to Christ through worship, education/formation, and service. During the campaign, honor, and tributes were given to those people who sacrificed their time, talent, and treasure to provide a solid foundation for the parishes. In the campaign materials, it was noted that "We stand on the shoulders of these great giants, some of whom are still with us today."
In 2010, as part of the Diocese of Cleveland reconfiguration process, St. Robert and St. William Parishes were merged to create the new, Ss. Robert & William Parish. Over the last ten years, the parish and school have grown. As the parish celebrates its tenth anniversary year, it faces the reality that facility needs have also grown and thus, there is a need to fund the future.
The initial construction phase should yield an excellent athletic space, a more functional kitchen on the first floor of the building, and a space for funeral luncheons and meetings. A separate entrance will also be constructed so the new spaces can be used during the week while still keeping the school secure.
To learn more about the capital campaign, information is available on the parish website at https://srweuclid.cc/capital-campaign. The initial phase of this project is targeted for completion before the start of the 2019-2020 school year.
Ss. Robert & William Catholic School and Parish