That Buck Could Cost You Lots of Dough!
This year, some 1.5 million drivers will hit deer, and November is the peak month for deer-related accidents. In Cleveland, deer are everywhere: city , suburbs and rural roads. But drivers can avoid an accident with a buck – and spending lots of bucks on the damage – by following some smart driving tips this fall and winter.
Early morning and dusk are the worst times for deer accidents, as visibility is limited and deer are frequently on the move. It is important to drive defensively and anticipate the potential for deer in the road.
The auto experts at Action CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts, we repair vehicles each year from deer-related accidents, offer the following tips to reduce the deer danger:
- Use extra caution at dawn and dusk and around golf courses, fields and wooded areas.
- Remember that deer travel in packs – if you spot one, there are likely more behind it.
- Don't swerve to avoid striking a deer, as that increases the risk of hitting another vehicle or losing control of the car.
- If there is no opposing traffic, use high beams at night to better illuminate deer.
- Don't rely on devices such as deer whistles, which are attached to the outside of a car, to try to scare off deer with an ultrasonic or high-frequency sound. They have not been proven to reduce deer-vehicle collisions.
- If a deer remains on the highway after you strike it, report the incident to the game commission or a local law enforcement agency, as the deer poses a danger to other motorists. If the deer is still alive, don't go near it because a wild animal with sharp hooves can inflict injuries.
- If an accident with a deer does occur, it pays to be protected. Many drivers don’t realize that carrying only collision coverage does not cover damage from a deer accident, leaving them with a damaged vehicle and a large repair bill. To fully cover any potential damage, drivers should carry comprehensive insurance that covers such crashes. For those driving an older vehicle who feel their cars aren’t worth the cost of the insurance, it’s smart to keep an “accident fund” if something does occur.
Perrion's Action CARSTAR Auto Body Repair Experts (21200 St. Clair Avenue, Euclid, OH) offers high-quality, reliable repair service. Just call 216-486-6161 when you need a vehicle repair, and they will send the tow truck, contact your insurance company, arrange for a rental car and repair your car.
I am the Marketing Manager for three auto body shops in Northeast Ohio, one of which is in Euclid on St. Clair Avenue. Action CARSTAR Auto Body, owned and operated by the Perrino Family, is a member of the Euclid Chamber and has served the Euclid community for over 30 years.