Ask an Officer

Question: What should I do if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?

Answer: From Officer Steve Hogrefe

There are several things you need to do if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident.  If the accident is serious and there are injured people in either vehicle, 9-1-1 should be called immediately.  However, calling 9-1-1 or the local police department is not required for non-serious motor vehicle accidents.  The State of Ohio only requires the persons involved to exchange information.  Here are some steps you can take if you have an accident: 

  • Stop at once to investigate.

  • Protect the scene of the accident by activating emergency flashers or using flares.

  • If in a hazardous place and cars are able to be driven, move off the road or to a safe location.

  • Do not admit that you are at fault; do not discuss the accident with the other driver.

  • Exchange the following information with the other driver: name, address, phone number, driver license number, license plate numbers, insurance provider, and insurance policy number.

  • Get witness information such as name, address, and phone number.

  • Take pictures with your cell phone of the cars, the other driver, the street, and the damage.

  • Call the police to make a motor vehicle accident report if the accident is serious, if there are injuries, if the other driver is not cooperating in exchanging information, or if the driver does not have insurance. 

If you would like to submit a question to Ask an Officer, contact Community Policing at the Euclid Police Department:  email or call 216-289-8449.    

Kate McLaughlin

I am the Community Policing Specialist at the Euclid Police Department.

Read More on City
Volume 6, Issue 11, Posted 11:44 AM, 11.25.2015